Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Christopher's Donut Party

Our son turned four years old this month and one of his all time favorite foods right now is a doughnut! So when we asked him what he wanted to do to celebrate his birthday his answer: "Have a doughnut party!" came as no surprise! We invited some of his close friends and their families over for a 9am Saturday morning party and served lots and lots of donuts!

 
The sign on our front door that greeted out guests.

 I made this sign by cutting out cardboard in a doughnut shape and then covering it with brown craft paper and then again with green wrapping paper as the frosting (the green paper was bought at IKEA). I then cut out the sprinkles from a darker green wrapping paper and letters from white card stock. 

I made a second sign and hung it above the food table that read "Donuts with Christopher". It was made the same way as explained above just reversing the two wrapping paper colors.

I also made a bunch of doughnut banners in our party colors. I purchased the artwork on Etsy from NedtiDesigns at this link. I simply printed and cut them out, added holes and threaded them through green yarn.

One of my favorite elements of the party was this amazing doughnut stand that my husband built. It is such a fun way to display doughnuts plus it is SUPER simple to make! I simply went to Home Depot and bought an unfinished piece of wood and 3 long dowels. It cost about $8 total. Then my husband cut each dowel in half and drilled six, evenly spaced holes into the piece of wood. He then wood glued each dowel into the wood. The donuts stacked beautifully on each dowel and it made for a fun presentation!

 Along with the stacked donuts I served fresh fruit and mini donuts.

I made mini-doughnut kabobs for the kids to enjoy. I bought cake pop sticks and white Styrofoam balls at Walmart. I them put the balls into IKEA white pots and stuck the sticks into the balls. I added a mini doughnut and a doughnut hole to each stick.

For the cake I choose a lemon bunt cake from Walmart since it looked like a doughnut and gave everyone another sweet option to enjoy.

The complete food table.


You cannot have donuts without a good cup of coffee! My husband was an amazing barista at our party. We also served hot chocolate, orange juice and chocolate milk.

Since the party was indoors the kids mainly played with toys in our playroom but I also set up a place where they could make a doughnut seed necklace. They loved the activity!



Another doughnut banner.

I always like to send home favors that are not full of little, cheap trinkets but something that kids will use and enjoy. Since it was a dough - nut party, I sent everyone home with both dough (Play-Doh) and nuts (Peanut M&Ms). I also threw in a few lifesavers as they are doughnut shaped. Using the same artwork I used for the banners I made favor tags with the wording "I donut think I could have celebrated my birthday without you! XO Christopher". 

How I displayed the favors.

The most important thing was that this little guy had an amazing birthday party and got to eat loads of donuts on his special day! Happy 4th Birthday Christopher! XO

3 comments:

  1. This has been the most helpful post in planning my little girls upcoming party! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what great ideas! thank you! first non-pink donut party I came across!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you comment more about the donut seed necklace activity please?

    ReplyDelete